Some retirees opt for luxury cruise ship living on a semi full-time basis, with unlimited
food prepared for them, maid service, entertainment venues, exercise options, access to health care and the ability to see the world. Between sailing stints, they often stay with family or friends, rent a short-term apartment or a long-term hotel room.
Although this might be an appealing alternative to traditional retirement, it is not right for everyone. To decide if it is right for you, you will need to consider the following factors: your current health, affordability, health care and insurance.
You will also need to answer the following:
• If you stay on the same ship, are you ok with visiting the same places over and over again? If not, you will need to plan ahead to change ships.
• Will you be able to stay healthy?
• Where will you go during while the ship is being maintained?
• Are you willing to give up most of your possessions?
• Are you ok with having a rotating community of acquaintances, rather than a solid community of close friends?
What do you think? Could you envision yourself opting for a cruise ship retirement or would you rather choose a more traditional alternative? Share your comments with us!